I had helped give to a local family in need recently.  I felt like God really wanted me to, so I pooled my resources, and got others that I knew to help out too.  It was such a great feeling to do something not for yourself but for someone else.

Then the doubts start to file in.

Did they really need the things we give them?
Does that person at the corner of the stoplight really need our money to feed his family?
Does the salvation army really need my change to help others?
Does my church really need my tithe to keep the church heated in the winter?
Does The House FM really need my donation to stay on the air?

I think it is a natural reaction whenever we give our money away, to want to make sure that it only goes to who we want and is only used for what we designate, but honestly, I'm not sure that is what Jesus asks of us.  In Luke 6:30, Jesus spells it out pretty plainly:
Give to anyone who asks; and when things are taken away from you, don’t try to get them back. 
Ok, so I'm supposed to give to *anyone* who asks?  I'm pretty sure I would run out of money quickly!  But Jesus talks about this a few verses later (like he was reading my mind and the mind of everyone else who was listening) in Luke 6:38
Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.
JESUS said that!  As much as I believe in him, why can't I believe in his promises in the bible?  Why is it so hard for me to be the giver he wants, knowing that my gift will return in FULL and RUNNING OVER!

So my resolution for 2012 and beyond... Give to anyone who asks.

Who wants to take a step of faith with me?

Who wants to start believing Jesus at His word?

Categories: